The Scientific Case and User Requirements for High-Performance and Data-Intensive Computing in Finland 2017-2021 - The Scientific Case and User Requirements for High-Performance and Data-Intensive Computing in Finland 2017-2021
This report describes the computing and data handling needs of Finnish scientific community in coming years.
The future prospects of computational scientific research in Finland are highlighted by the following examples:
- Finding new tools for diagnosis, and treatment of diseases by understanding tumor genomics and cellular signaling, and via advanced microscopy.
- Novel materials obtained by computational materials modeling combined with big data methodology.
- Towards clean and efficient energy production by modeling nuclear fusion and other power plants
- Understanding climate change through improving the coupled climate models, finding feedback mechanisms and modeling sea-level change due to glacier ice loss.
- Improving human worldview by studying fundamental topics in astrophysics and high-energy physics: galaxy formation, nature of dark energy and physics beyond the standard model.
- Emerging fields such as machine learning and its applications in areas such as natural language processing.
Based on researcher's needs, experts have analyzed the requirements placed on the future infrastructure, and recommendations are drawn up to meet these needs.
Director, Services for Research
CSC – IT Center for Science
mobile. +358 50 3819 723